Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Elementary Guidance in September

We have been having a lot of fun in guidance class throughout the elementary classrooms.  Each class has been learning about what my job is all about through a wonderful "first aid kit" idea that I found at one of my favorite blogs- Savvy School Counselor.  Have I told you how much I love being able to share ideas with other school counselor colleagues?!! :)

My school counseling first aid kit was full of items that describe how I can help students at Denver Elementary.  Below is a list of items that were in the kit and why:

Band-Aid/ Gauze: I help heal hurts that we carry on the inside, heart-hurts.
Tissue: Any type of emotion is ok to show in guidance and in my office.  I talked about sadness and crying, but then also focused on when you are really angry.  Is that ok?  YES!
Padlock: I am a secret-keeper at school.  If you tell me something I will not share it with anyone else without your permission.  Now, if I feel you are in danger, because I love you, I may need to talk to others about ways to help you stay safe.
Ear buds:  I promise to always listen.
Snickers bar: It is such a treat to be able to spend time with you in guidance!  It is a treat for me, and I hope that it is a treat for you!
Life Saver: I can help you stay afloat.  I focused on worries with this one- those sticky "peanut-butter thoughts".  Helping kids with worries is one of my favorite topics.
Toothpicks: I can help students pick apart their problem.  Many times if you are feeling angry, there is another feeling of hurt that is hidden beneath the anger.
Star: I can help guide your way- will I take the steps for you?  No way!  But I will help you figure out the steps to take.
Cotton Balls: If you come to school and need a hug or compliment- I am your gal!

Thanks again Vanessa at Savvy School Counselor.  Denver students truly understand why I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment